Monday, August 26, 2013

Beware, Political Content...

You know I try to avoid any sort of politics on this blog. Doesn't matter what it is, I try to steer clear for the sake of not losing all of my followers and getting truckloads of hate mail.

However, when it is something concerning the writing industry and the total disregard for humanity... well, I have to hop up on my soapbox.

First, let me share a link. This link will take you over to David Powers King's blog.

To summarize it, it states that a publishing company decided to cancel their contract with Mr. King and his co-author due to the fact that his co-author is homosexual.

First of all, I have a right to my opinion, so let's just make that perfectly clear. You also have the right to your opinion. The rules? Don't force your opinion on me, and I won't force mine on you.

I just want to state right here and now that I am all for equality in every way, shape, and form. Race doesn't bother me. Religious preferences don't bother me unless you are trying to force said preference down my throat, then we'll have issues. Sexual preference does not bother me. To each their own. You are a human being? An adult? You have the right to do what you want as long as you don't hurt anyone.

What bothers me most is (it seems to me) people get more agitated and upset about GBLT rights than anything else. We have rapists and child molesters in this world and you're concerned about the color your homosexual neighbor chose for his/her curtains? If you kept your nose out of his/her business, it wouldn't matter so much.

For anyone, especially a publishing company, to drop a contract like it had leprosy these days just takes us right back to the Middle Ages. It's like we've made absolutely no progress in our tolerance for things like this.

Human beings tend to feel as if they have every right in the world to bring up things from hundreds of years past and be entitled to special treatment. They also feel that hiding behind a religious book will make the "bad" things go away. The bible is supposed to be a guideline of how to live your life, be good and love your fellow man. Leave the judgements to God. Nowhere in the bible does it state that you shall make the final judgement over someone else's soul.

I certainly hope this company is ready for the backlash it is about to receive. There are those in the LDS community who support the LGBT rights as much as anyone else. Why should they (the publishing company) speak for the community when they're being the narrow-minded simpletons? I betcha it's only one person over there with a problem. I could be wrong, but you never know. "I own the company, do as I say or be fired!" Pssh. Please. People let money rule far too much, especially in politics.

What are your thoughts about this blog post? You can disagree with me, that's why it's called a discussion. I know some of you will opt out. I may lose a follower or two, but when it comes down to it, at least you know where I stand. Anne could not have said it better:

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Let he who is without sin throw the first stone.
There's a reason no one threw stones at the prostitute that day.
What that publisher said to Michael was just wrong.

Angela Brown said...

As a writer, I still can not understand some of the things of this world. With all my wild imagination, the horrors I can conjure, I'll at a loss in situations like these.

I really...JUST don't understand -_-

Mel Chesley said...

I agree, Alex. This is why I have such a hard time with some "religious people" who take the word and laws of God and make them there own with no right to do so, whatsoever. We were told to love, tolerate, live in peace and harmony. Not outright hatred and loathing.

Angela, absolutely. I couldn't think up half this stuff if I tried. The human race is a scary race indeed.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Love is a human experience, not a political statement. That says it all.
It is odd to me that when people justify their bigotry using 1st Corinthians 6:9 they overlook all the other sins which come before and after homosextuality is mentioned and focus only on that.
So, true, let him without sin cast the first stone if we are to be literal about the bible. Its no mistake that homosexuality is not listed as the first. There are bigger issues.

Unknown said...

I really hope that such bad form doesn't go unnoticed and that the company get what's coming to them.

Misha Gerrick said...

I'm with you. Even published my own post along a similar vein a few days ago. :-)

Adrienne Reiter said...

Living in my 'bay area bubble' it's hard to believe this stuff still happens. I'm glad people are making noise about it.

Good for him for sticking by his friend and staying true to what he believes in!