Friday, April 23, 2010

Top o' the Mornin'


Well, I had a T post all planned and ready, but we know how well planning and readiness work in writing. Right? Heh!

I am going to go with Thanks in this T post.

Thanks to all of you who follow me. Thanks to those of you who comment. I especially am thankful for those of you who enjoyed yesterday's snippet. I am happy to announce I will be posting some more. That was the opening scene of the first chapter.

While I have worked on my query letter and have sent that off for a critique ::hyperventilates:: I have watched a couple of contests pop up on Query Tracker. One awhile back asked for your first sentence. My first sentence is dull as dishwater. But I'm okay with that. My first paragraph... I'm sure it would have people glancing back at the title wondering what gardening has to do with Legends and is Black Rose a bush?

Ha! No.

BUT! I am okay with that as well. It is setting things up. I have considered revamping the whole beginning, but I'm leaving it in reserve. If I don't get any requests when I start sending out queries, then yes, I will change it. For now, though, I'm okay with it. I'm really thankful to all the positive comments. My story flows, the descriptions are just right. That is what I am aiming for. I don't like to read stories where you get so caught up in the descriptions that you lose sight of the plot. This being fantasy, I have to world-build. (Michelle told me! So I build.)

Black Rose's real name is Croggen Di'orn. (Crawg ehn Dee orn) That name is over three hundred years old. Fizanu (Fih zah new), his goddess, chose the name Black Rose. Rose for short, as Black Rose gets repetitive and Black just doesn't sound right... Eh. It does get explained. His name. :D

So, thanks again to everyone. Thanks to Arlee Bird for this Challenge! I'm gearing up for May 3rd. I'm thankful to have such cool and interesting blog buddies. :D

Favorite Band: The Tossers. Favorite Movie: Two Weeks Notice.

7 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Thanks for following me back and for posting such great reads! :) I always enjoy coming over to your blog.

Have a great weekend!

Kirsten Lesko said...

Good luck with the query letter. I think it can be harder than the novel. For me it is, anyway.

I had no idea Query Tracker held contests. Thanks for mentioning them!

Mel Chesley said...

Thanks Talli!

Kirsten, if you follow Elana Johnson, that is how I knew of the Query Tracker contests. I also bought her book to help me with the query letter. And I agree, I think it is harder than the novel itself. Trying to sum up your entire book in just a few sentences... daunting. :D

B. Miller said...

Good luck with your query and thanks for posting part of the WIP yesterday! Great read.

Have a fantastic weekend!! :D

Creepy Query Girl said...

awe *blog love*. Thanks to you too for being so cool!:)

Raquel Byrnes said...

Oh...((hughs)) that was sweet. Good luck on your re-vamping.

Beth Zimmerman said...

And we are thankful to have found you! :)

Blessings on your query quest! :)

Beth