Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Figures

Well, wouldn't you know. I began National Novel Writing Month with a set idea. I wanted to write out Nightshadow's story. I know, I know. I got stuck. I had no real plot, no idea where to go with it. I was rehashing her historical (not hysterical) past and the path she took to become of the most deadliest Assassins my world has ever known.

Pfffttt...

That was the sound of my idea fading off into the etherworld.

So. What did I do in the middle of NaNoWriMo? I started over. *Snorts* Actually it is going much better than I expected. Faster, actually. I am now sitting at 17,415 words out of 50,000.

Now, I know I have promised to put up and excerpt and I'm sure you all have been chomping at the bit to see what I have been working on. I promised you something from Nightshadow's story, but instead, you will get a peek at my new story.

Here's the thing, though. It is a major overhaul, a rewrite of gigantic proportions, an undeniable HUGE step for me. I plan on "losing" at NaNoWriMo this time specifically because I feel as if I am cheating. You'll understand once I let you in on my little secret.

*Peers around to make sure "They" aren't listening*

I'm re-writing my first book. You know, the one that got published with THEM. The bane of my existence, the Evil Empire, the lying sacks of.....

Yeah, them.

So, without further ado....Here is an excerpt from the first chapter:


As the coast of Paridzule dropped out of sight, Kayta let out a long sigh. It had been months since she had seen her home. She barely had a chance to rest before she had to board a ship and be on her way to Suleiel's Festival. Twice a year, Nobles from all the kingdoms would meet at the festivals. Kayta went in her father's stead during Suleiel's Festival and her father would go for Oeswen's Festival.

“Don't look so upset,” a voice spoke off to her left. Kayta turned to see her best friend and Captain of the Guard, Trinara. She walked over to the railing where Kayta stood and leaned her elbows on the railing. “Rumor has it that Lord Li'endrin will be attending the Festival instead of his father.” Kayta blushed a bright pink and looked away quickly.

“Why would that interest me in the slightest?” she asked. Trinara grinned.

“Well, correct me if I am wrong, but I do recall seeing the two of you off in a corner quite a bit at his last visit.”

“I think your memory must be muddied by all the beatings you take on the battlefield,” Kayta turned to look at her old friend. Her cheeks were still flushed and she tried her best to hide a grin. “Besides, it is apparent that father wishes to marry him off to Senweis.”

“Your sister hardly gave him the time of day.” Trinara stood so that the wind blew her long blonde hair out of her face. Kayta looked around, checking to see if they would be overheard. All she noticed were a few crewmen standing and staring at Trinara. Decked out in her usual garb of tight fitting or scant clothing, she drew the attention of any man in sight of her. She stood half a head taller than Kayta and her skin was darkly tanned.

“Senweis is shy,” Kayta stood up for her elder sister. Sometimes she wondered why, the two of them fought most of the time. Usually about petty little things like Kayta borrowing a gown because she didn't have one of her own or Senweis using one of Kayta's favorite daggers as a butter knife.

“Shy,” Trinara snorted. “That is just a polite way of saying she's a prude.”

“Trin!” Kayta gasped and then giggled. She smacked her friend on the arm lightly. “Be nice, now.”

“Are you excited to see him again?” Trinara asked after a moment.

“I would very much like to see Alabassin again,” Kayta mused out loud as she looked over the waves breaking against the ship.

“That is what I thought.”

“Don't be so smug, it doesn't suit you,” Kayta grinned at her friend. “You better get back to your quarters before you get the crew flogged for not working.” She nudged her friend and nodded in the direction of the group of men who stood gawking at her best friend. Several more had joined the first three in the last few minutes.

“I'd make it up to them,” Trinara grinned wickedly before turning on her heel and walking away.

No comments: